A nutrient to prevent yo-yo dieting, an ingredient that causes impulsivity, the trick for becoming more attractive, and when to shift your goal away (!!) from muscle growth.
On Our Minds
The theme of an upcoming T-Nation.com article is a fill-in-the-blank with this sentence: "We're not supposed to say this but...." And all the editors have contributed to it.
But Chris's answer was particularly provocative for anyone who lifts. His take? At some point, stop trying to build more muscle. Sounds cringey at first. But for some, his explanation will be liberating.
1. HFCS and aggression/impulsivity: Fructose and uric acid as drivers of a hyperactive foraging response: A clue to behavioral disorders associated with impulsivity or mania?
2. Swagger and Attractiveness: This Way of Walking Makes You Look Twice as Attractive
3. Mercury and fish: How to Cancel Mercury in Fish
4. The Exercise For Maximal and Explosive Strength: Kettlebell Swing Training Improves Maximal and Explosive Strength
To recreate the kettlebell swing study, here's the weight you'd use:
• Men with a body mass over 70 kg (154 pounds) used a 16-kg (35 pound) kettlebell.
• Men with a body mass under 70 kg (154 pounds) used a 12-kg (26 pound) kettlebell.
The researchers didn't study women, but if you're a weight-training woman, chances are, you can use the same weight kettlebells as the male subjects from this study... if not more.
One of the biggest problems with dieting is the amount of weight most people regain afterward. It's often over and above what the person weighed to begin with. However, according to one study, the use of curcumin may be able to prevent that "yo-yo" effect. Here's a closer look at the study: Curcumin limits weight gain, adipose tissue growth, and glucose intolerance following the cessation of exercise and caloric restriction in rats
And if here's a breakdown of it from T-Nation.com editor TC Luoma: Take This To Stay Lean After Dieting
• Ultimate Abs: The Definitive Guide To Building a Chiseled Six Pack, by Gareth Sapstead
• ON Running: Cloud Flyer (Dani's Shoes), Cloud X (Chris's Shoes)